Friday 5 June 2015

10 Minute Plant Combo Exercise

We've spent all week receiving deliveries from nurseries for the City Hort Team's shrub replacements and now have a whole standing out area full of wonderful yummy looking plants.
I had a few minutes at the end of the day and set myself a quick game of coming up with a couple of plant combos using the available plants. It made me realize that you just can't pick plants from a photograph online, you really have to see them in real life to get a good feel for their colour and form - less internet perusing and more nursery visits for me I think! - oh, what a shame ;)

I should start with a disclaimer that this exercise was merely for plant shapes and colour combos - the science of whether they will actually grow together in the same conditions is a different matter! So all just strictly hypothetical fun here...

So my first combo was slightly predictable of me - Reds, I have a weakness for all plants red. Throw in a few silvers as well and it's got Sabrina written all over it.
The first plant of the group that I picked up and chose as my starting point was the Grevillea 'Gaudi Chaudi' (wonderful name!) I liked how the new leaves start red/maroon and turn into a deep glossy green. The shape of the leaves is interesting with it's seven lobes. And an added bonus upon further research, the flowers are a deep burgundy colour to go with the foliage.

So now, I want plant number 2 to go with my Gaudi Chaudi and my eye was caught by the Raoulia hookeri. This is a new plant to me, but I was taken by its dense silver foliage, each leaf is tiny and so tightly clustered it almost looks like gravel from a distance. The mat forming ground cover will act as a glowing light-box underneath the foliage of the Grevillea and really accentuate the interesting leaf shape and colour. The silver of the Raoulia matching the highlights on the glossy Grevillea foliage reflecting the sky (albeit a raining one - yes i was out drooling over plants in the rain - so this pairing may not look as good in the full sun)

Plant 3, I want something of the same deep burgundy red to compliment the Grevillea's new growth. Enter stage right, Phormium 'Dark Delight'. The deep colour reminds me of red cabbage. This plant is an attention grabber, and I have to confess to not being a Phormium fan, but i'll allow an exception to the rule for this colour. Its just a shade darker than the Grevillea but I think it continues the gradient perfectly. It give continuity of colour but the shape provides the contrast and presence that this plant combo needs.

And lastly - yes I know i've only chosen 4 plants, breaking the odd number rule, but I was pushed for time! Pachystegia rufa. I already have clumping tiny silver leaves, tall spiky dark red, lobed red and green, so now I want something calming, a nice deep green to compliment but not compete, and smooth rounded, quintessential leaf shape to add balance to the extremes of the others, a mid ground to tie them together. The rufa has a more muted tone than the P. insignis, which would be too white for this palette. And the overall height of this plant also acts as a middle stepping stone between the spreading Grevilliea and Raoulia to the Phormium.

In hindsight, and after a little research, both the Raoulia and Pachy have yellow flowers that may not be suited to the deep red tones i'm after - just goes to show how important it is to know your plants before picking them purely on foliage colour!


Combo 2. Yellow.
I hate yellow, it is the colour of sickness and the hardest colour to work with, but Sabrina likes a challenge! Let's step outside the comfort zone and work out what the hell to do with this ugly colour.
Sitting either side of yellow on the colour wheel is orange and green, so let's try something to compliment the Coleonema 'Sunset Bold' that I have challenged myself with. The foliage is somewhere between heather and juniper, small and needle-like and the overall shape is spraying up and out like a miniature explosion of yellowness.

Working with the orange idea, my eye was drawn to the Libertia 'Taupo Sunset'. The colours in this are wonderful - orange is on my super-yum colour list :), the streaks in this range from pale orange to bronze, and standing next to the Coleonema the colours work great together, fiery and bright. The shape of the Libertia blades with their definite direction mimics the up and out form of its yellow neighbor too.

Selection 3, an unlikely plant companion in reality, Azalea 'Ria hardijzer' (pronunciation suggestions written on a postcard sent to me please!). Again I was seeking a calming green, but the large leafed pachys would be too much against the fine heather-like Coleonema, so I opted for a small leaved green shrub, that also happened to have orange stems and buds - my tie-in with the Libertia. But again, that ol' hindsight kicks in and research says this has bright pink flowers. Pink and yellow...no.

Plant 4. Actual heather this time - Erica 'Springwood White'. The foliage compliments the Coleonema with a similar form, if slightly less assertively straight. The flower buds is what drew me to this plant with their creamy hue, although it will flower in white. Not perfect, but using the logic that lighter colours attract the eye first, it might divert away from the yellow...

And lastly, against my reluctance to like divaricates, I beelined for the Coprosma acerosa. I have seen this plant many times and been thoroughly uninspired by it, but put it next to yellow and orange and I actually like it. The form is crazy and messy, but next to the strict upward trusts of the Coleonema and Libertia it adds a certain softness that is needed.

I'm not totally sold on my yellow scheme, but given that I had 10 minutes to choose 5 plants, the initial colour and form are what led my decisions. And I learnt a lot from it, a) Go to a nursery and look at real plants and not just pictures, b) Phormiums can be attractive, c) Research!!! Don't just look at the foliage colour, the flowers will make a huge difference to a colour scheme, d) step outside your comfort zone and try something different, e) yellow still sucks to work with :)

No comments:

Post a Comment