Thursday 4 September 2014

Hedge Maze - Design and Planting

In order for us to calculate the correct number of plants needed to go into the hedge maze we first needed a design - preferably to scale.So, I measured up the area using a straight line of twine pegged into the ground at the dissecting the site in two. I then used a measuring tape held at at 90degree angle from the line at 50cm intervals to record the distance to the edges and obstacles within the proposed maze.
From this data I created a scale plan view of the area - give or take a few cm here and there, it was moderately accurate. And I rather enjoyed the whole process :)
Scale plan view of proposed maze area
I then passed this plan on to Ali who drew up the final design for the maze and calculated how many plants were needed. (Sadly I don't have a copy of the design!!)
We were originally going to use the same coprosmas as the existing hedges, and we did take cuttings, but they will take a couple of years to grow. So Rewi ordered in some ready grown corokias to use instead.
So now we were ready to lay out the maze and get planting!!!

Ali drew the design on the ground and I placed all the plants
along the design.

I had to make sure that the spacing for each plant was going to be adequate
to allow for it to have enough room for it to grow, but also to be close
enough to not have any gaps in the maze.

When we were happy with the placing, now began the
 task of planting them all.

View of the maze entrance

Grow my pretties, grow!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment