Saturday 13 September 2014

Taking Cuttings

I am now on my second placement - Cindy's Nursery! :)
The units I have to complete during my placement here are two propagation units and pest and diseases. The first propagation unit is a written part to demonstrate knowledge, the other is practical. For the practical unit I need to take leaf, softwood, semi-hardwood/hardwood cuttings and monitor their growth.

First up...collecting the plant material.
Here is all the material I collected, placed in a pot with a bit
of water to keep them from wilting and labels for each plant.
They now need to be trimmed and prepared for the cutting mix.
For my leaf cutting I have chosen Pepperomia argyreia.
I have kept about 2cm length of stem to push into the soil
for anchorage, the bottom of the leaf will touch the soil
and the new plant will grow from the base of the leaf.
Plectranthus coleoides 'marginatus'. Herbaceous/softwood cutting.
Left two leaf pairs with two nodes to go into soil

Ficus benjamina 'Diana' - Semi-hardwood.
Approx 10cm length cutting with one or two nodes
at the bottom
 Once the cuttings were prepped they were ready to be put into cutting mix - 60% peat: 40% pumice. I took about 10 cuttings of each plant so put them into 6in pots.
Ta da! Streptocarpus, Plectranthus coleoides, Pepperomia caperata 'Burgundy',
Ficus benjamina 'Diana', Ficus 'contorta?', Strobilanthes dyeranus, and Pepperomia argyreia

All pots were put on the heat bench under the misters until they start to root.



No comments:

Post a Comment